Chocolate Beetroot Cake
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup wholemeal plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup beetroot, finely chopped
200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
3/4 cup Greek yoghurt, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line the bases of 2 round sandwich cake tins with baking paper and lightly grease the sides.
- Whisk together oil, sugar, buttermilk and 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Combine flours, baking powder, bicarb soda, cocoa, nutmeg and beetroot in a bowl. Gently fold through the buttermilk mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into cake tins and cook for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Leave in tins to cool.
- Meanwhile, place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a small saucepan of boiling water, stirring until it begins to melt.
- Add yoghurt and remaining 1 tsp vanilla extract and continue to heat and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Cool slightly, then sandwich the two cakes together with a few tablespoons of the ganache. Cover the top and sides with remaining mixture.
Energy: 1076.4kj Carbs: 23.7g Fibre: 2.2g Sat Fat: 7.1g Sugar: 13.1g Protein: 4.5g Fat: 15.9g