Grilled Figs and Chickpea Salad
Serves 2 (main) or 4 (side dish)
1/2 cup basmati rice, rinsed
1 tsp coriander seeds, roughly crushed
4 cardamom pods, bruised
1 cup vegetable stock
4 fresh figs, quartered
1 red onion, peeled & thinly sliced
2 tsp chickpea flour (besan) - use plain flour if you prefer
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
400g tin chickpeas, drained
2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbs fresh mint, chopped
1 tbs pumpkin seeds
1 lemon wedge, to serve
- Place rice in a saucepan with coriander seeds, cardamom pods and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer until stock has been absorbed. Remove from heat, cover and stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a grill plate until it's very hot, spray figs with oil and grill for a few minutes.
- Heat oil in a small frypan. Toss onion with flour and salt, then, when oil is hot, cook until golden. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Toss rice with chickpeas and chopped herbs and adjust seasoning.
- Scatter over onion, pumpkin seeds and grilled figs and add a squeeze of lemon to serve.
Energy: 1150.2kj Carbs: 36.4g Sat Fat: 1.2g Sugar: 8.5g Protein: 10.9g Fat: 7.5g