Healthy Breakfast Muffin Recipe
Don't fall into the muffin calorie trap. Our 2014 Brand Ambassador, Jess Connelly, has created a healthy breakfast muffin that's low-calorie, dairy and gluten-free!
1/2 cup of diced free range ham off the bone or bacon
1 clove of garlic minced
1 teaspoon of coconut oil
Small diced brown onion
1/2 cup of corn kernels
1/2 cup of chopped broccoli
Small handful of spinach leaves
1/4 cup of diced capsicum
3 mushrooms thinly sliced
Pinch of chopped chives (or any other fresh herbs of your choice)
Freshly cracked pepper and a pinch of Himalayan Rock Salt
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add garlic, onion and bacon/ham until they soften.
- Mix all vegetables and herbs into a large bowl and stir well.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl and add salt and pepper.
- Add garlic, onion, bacon/ham and mushroom mix to the vegetables and stir well.
- Line muffin trays with silicone muffin liners. I love using these as the muffins never stick and pop out with ease once they're cooked without adding any additional oil.
- Evenly distribute the vegetable mix throughout the silicone liners, filling each to half capacity.
- Pour the egg mix over the top of each liner so the vegetable mix is completely covered.
- Cook in the oven at 180 degrees for around 20 minutes or until golden.
Note: This recipe is completely free from dairy or gluten but can be tailored to suit any dietary requirements. Leave the meat out if you'd prefer a vegetarian option. If your nutrition plan allows you can also add in a carbohydrate option such as diced pre roasted sweet potato or pumpkin. These breakfast muffins are a great source of protein and a fantastic way to use up all those vegetables in the fridge! They are a perfect breakfast meal or a great snack for on the run!