5 High Protein Breakfast Ideas
A healthy breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. In fact, we are often told to ‘eat breakfast like a king, and dinner like a pauper’. This comes from the understanding that a good breakfast will set you up properly for the day.
A typical Aussie breakfast will be toast with Vegemite, or cereal with milk. For more people, adding an element of protein is forgotten and that’s a problem. Our bodies need protein, especially in the morning, to help keep our blood sugar levels stable, and our appetites at bay until midday. A balanced high protein breakfast will allow you to complete any task set in front of you during the morning, without needing a hit of caffeine or sugar before lunch.
These healthy breakfast ideas that will supercharge your morning productivity.
1. Super charged Bircher muesli
Soak 1 cup of oats in ½ cup of milk and 1 cup of high protein, unflavoured Greek yoghurt. Add 1tbs sultanas and one a grated apple, stir to combine, and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, take ¼ of the Bircher mix, and top with ¼ cup fresh berries, half a kiwi fruit, 1 tbs crushed almonds, 1tsp chia seeds and an extra dollop of high protein yoghurt.
2. Vanilla protein pancakesCombine 3tbs vanilla protein powder, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp cinnamon and 1tbs LSA. Whisk 2 eggs with 2tbs of milk and add to the dry ingredients. Heat rice bran oil in a pan and cook pancakes in batches. Serve two medium pancakes with ½ cup high protein Greek yogurt and blueberries. Optional drizzle of honey.
3. Cottage cheese dip with smoked salmon on seeded toast
4. Salmon breakfast frittata muffin
5. Homemade baked beans with a poached egg on toast
Heat a frypan with olive oil and fry one sliced brown onion with two cloves of crushed garlic and 1tsp ground paprika until translucent. Add 400g tinned tomatoes, 1tbs tomato paste and 400g drained cannellini beans. Cook on high heat for 5-8 minutes, or until warmed through. Serve ¼ of the bean mixture with a slice of heavily seeded toast, wilted spinach and a poached egg.